How do oral appliances help?
Our oral appliances reposition the tongue and lower jaw forward during sleep to maintain an open airway. Dr. Waite is trained in dental sleep medicine and is an expert in how to select, fabricate, fit and adjust these devices.
Oral appliances look like mouth guards, to help patients breathe freely during sleep. Home sleep tests, Follow-up visits and post-adjustment sleep studies helps Dr. Waite determine if oral appliance therapy is effective in treating sleep apnea.
Oral Appliance Therapy is indicated for mild to moderate OSA patients if they prefer it to Continuous Positive Air Pressure (CPAP), the standard treatment therapy, cannot tolerate CPAP, or are unable to use positional therapy or weight loss to control their apnea. Oral appliances are also recommended for severe OSA patients if they cannot tolerate CPAP. Patients with severe OSA should always try CPAP before considering Oral Appliance Therapy.
The EMA Oral Appliance works by opening the bite and advancing the lower jaw with interchangeable elastic straps to increase airway space. The EMA is made from a thermoplastic polymer that delivers superior impact strength to acrylic at a lower cost than polycarbonate. The flexibility of the elastic bands allow for individualization of treatment, and the ability for quick and easy adjustments. Bands of varying elasticity move the mandible forward into the desired position while allowing the jaw to move in all directions. This positioning of the mandible causes a forward movement of the tongue, reopening the air flow through the oral pharynx.
EMA elastic straps come in 9 different lengths and 4 different strengths. The shorter the EMA elastic strap, the farther the mandible is advanced. 36 different straps allow for effective repositioning with maximum comfort.
The Herbst Appliance is a mandibular repositioner that has been in use for many years in orthodontic and TMJ therapy prior to its modification for treatment of sleep disordered breathing. Using a telescopic sliding tube connection between the upper and lower retainer portions, the Herbst permits lateral and vertical movement while maintaining the desired mandible-forward position. It is sturdy and fully adjustable to find the most effective and comfortable position. Adjustment of position is quick, easy and very accurate. Base materials available include thermoactive and soft materials as well as hard acrylic, with retention by friction grip and optional clasps.
- Anterior Opening created by removing anterior acrylic around the incisors.
- Upper Edentulous splint covers the palate in the same way as a full upper denture.
- Flexiclose (elastic hooks) hooks added to the device enabling the addition of elastics.
- Lingual-Less lingual acrylic minimized.
- Vertical Adjustment acrylic added to the anterior enabling contact at the anterior of the device only.
- Herbst is a custom made device worn during sleep to increase the upper airway volume and reduce collapsibility. The device utilizes a unique patented fin coupling component, maximizing patient comfort and compliance.
The Moses® appliance has improved on the simple MAD designs of the past to incorporate tongue management. It actually activates reflexes to advance the tongue. It lowers elevator muscle activity, reduces clenching, decreasing bruxism. The two part design is extremely comfortable. It allows the patient to close their lips, talk and even drink.
The Moses® appliance is intended for use on adult patients as an aid for the reduction and/or alleviation of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. Advancement of the mandible and tongue prevents collapse of the patient’s tongue on the soft palate and/or oropharyngeal airway.
The Narval CC™ is a custom-made mandibular repositioning device (MRD). It has patented physiological articulation and unique comfortable splints to optimize patient acceptance and treatment efficacy. Thousands of patients benefit from this simple yet effective therapy and it is recognized by specialists as a discreet and comfortable oral appliance.
Discover the advantages of Narval™ CC
The Narval CC is a new generation of mandibular repositioning device (MRD) designed specifically for the treatment of adult obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The patented Optimized Retention of the Mandible (ORM) articulation maintains the mandible in an advanced position leading to effective treatment and high compliance.
- Computer-aided design (CAD) enables high degree of customization to suit the complex dental anatomy of each individual patient
- Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) using selective laser sintering of a biocompatible polymer material guarantees consistent, industrial-strength manufacturing
- Use of polyamide for a slim, lightweight device that is highly resilient and durable
Narval CC features and benefits
The patented ORM articulation maintains the mandible in an advanced position.
- Increase in upper airway caliber at most levels and especially at the oropharynx1
- Decrease in collapsibility of the upper airway2
- and flexible connecting rods are easy to change so dentists can provide fast, accurate customized solutions with quick adjustments to patients’ needs as treatment progresses
- Patented physiological articulation parallels the occlusal plane, allowing for natural and free movement
- Comfortable and flexible device creates minimal impact on teeth and gums with no effect on dental hygiene, tissue irritation, overloading of the dentition or compromising of periodontal tissues
- Innovative, state-of-the-art materials enable a device that is strong and comfortably light
The OASYS Oral/Nasal Airway System™ treats the two major causes of sleep disordered breathing by addressing upper airway resistance in the nasal region and blockage in the throat region.
The OASYS is FDA approved as a medical device in two separate classifications (1) As a mandibular repositioner for treatment of snoring and sleep apnea and (2) As a nasal dilator for improved ease of breathing.
The OASYS treats both vulnerable areas of the upper airway with one patented system while strengthening the throat area by pulling the lower jaw and tongue forward to prevent the tongue from blocking the airflow and strengthening the throat against collapse.
- Easy Mandibular Advancement / Retraction with Patient-Friendly Locking System
- Nasal Dilators to Improve Nasal Breathing
- Lingual Tongue Repositioning / Training Buttons for Increased Benefit to Moderate/Severe OSA Patients
- Maximum Tongue Space & Freedom of Movement
- New Modular System Available Soon, for Adding or Removing Nasal Dilators or Tongue Buttons
SomnoDent® is a custom made device worn during sleep to increase the upper airway volume and reduce collapsibility. SomnoDent® Flex device utilizes a unique patented fin coupling component, maximizing patient comfort and compliance.
This is made from a unique SMH BFlex material and acrylic that provides superior retention and comfort. SMH BFlex is a soft polymer that is heat-cured, packed and pressed utilizing an exclusive chemical formula that facilitates soft to hard polymer bonding at the layers interface. The result is a fit that is unmatched and unlike anything seen before in a resilient material, securely anchoring appliance with a snug fit – even on short teeth with little under cut. With an expected life of 3-5 years, it is suitable for all dentitions. SMH BFlex does not discolor or attract odors. Patients and dentists may prefer this model, particularly where crown and bridgework is present.
SomnoDent® treatment has also been shown to have a clinically significant impact in reducing patients’ blood pressure and has been predicted to reduce the risk of stroke. In addition, this blood pressure reduction was apparent in the early morning, which is the time of peak risk for acute myocardial infarction.
14 independent studies and over 12 years’ worth of research demonstrate SomnoDent efficacy and significant clinical benefits. Exceptional levels of compliance 88%, treatment efficacy 91% and acceptance 96% of patients with OSA have been cited.
In 2011, a randomize multi-center trial with 108 patients concluded that treatment of moderate-severe OSA with either CPAP or SomnoDent has similar effects on health outcomes.
The SUAD™ Device is a premium dental sleep appliance developed for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. It is an effective, comfortable, and durable alternative to CPAP therapy or corrective surgery. By simply wearing The SUAD™ Device while sleeping, your lower jaw (mandible) will be moved forward into a comfortable position, allowing relaxation of the tissues at the back of your throat and ensuring the base of your tongue does not collapse and block your airway, giving you a safe and soundless sleep.
A growing number of men and women have discovered The SUAD™ Device to be the perfect solution for ending snoring and improving sleep quality. It is an ideal alternative treatment for patients who have been diagnosed with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea or for those who have severe OSA, yet are unable or unwilling to tolerate CPAP therapy and/or surgery.
TAP 3 Elite
The TAP 3 Elite (Thornton Adjustable Positioner) is a mandibular advancement device for the treatment of snoring and sleep apnea. It is a custom-made, two-piece appliance that snaps firmly and comfortably over the upper and lower teeth, much like a sports mouthguard or retainer. Its basic function is to hold the jaw forward so the tongue and soft tissues of the throat do not collapse into the throat causing snoring and sleep apnea. The unique design allows the patient to adjust the degree to which the lower jaw is held forward, simultaneously allowing maximum comfort and effectiveness.
The TAP 3 is the latest addition to the TAP family. It offers the same results as the TAP and TAP II and fits more comfortably in the mouth. The smaller hardware provides more room for the tongue and allows the lips to close. Developed with advanced dental technology, the TAP 3 improves breathing and eliminates snoring in over 95% of all patients. The appliance also effectively treats sleep apnea and reduces the impact of associated health risks without the need for surgery, CPAP or medication.
- Patient friendly
- Superior results
- Easy to fit
- Infinitely adjustable
- Precise control of advancement
- Interchangeable hooks
- Freedom of lateral movement
- More room for tongue
- Allows lips to close
Lingual Free Design: Intended to offer maximum tongue space; the tongue has room to stay in the mouth where it is supposed to be, not blocking the airway
Twin 90 Degree Angle Mechanism: This keeps the jaw forward during sleep even when the mouth is open.
Contoured Lip and Cheek Borders: This feature improves the fit of the appliance to the natural curve of the mouth and allows for greater comfort.
Control Curved Dental PMMA Material: This allows the device to be compare and strong at the same time.
Digital Precision: The first CAD/CAM milled Obstructive Sleep Apnea Device that improves the fit and delivers a very accurate bite.
- Achieve healthier, more comfortable sleep with our newest and most effective TAP Custom oral appliance.
- More tongue space for greater comfort
- Cobalt-chromium hardware, stronger than surgical stainless steel
- Rust- and corrosion-resistant
- Nickel-free, 100% allergen-free metal
- TAP single-point, midline adjustment
- Three hook sizes for greater range of adjustment
- Custom-formed soft liners for superior retention
5410 Powers Center Point, Suite 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80920